Stumbled Upon

Thursday

My Responseability

Between a stimulus (event) and the response there is response-ability.
As Jennifer Aniston used to say in a shampoo commercial "Pay attention, here comes the science part."

Victor Frankl was a determinist brought up in the tradition of Freudian psychology. They postulate that whatever happens to you as a child shapes your character and personality and basically governs your whole life. The limits and parameters of your life are set and there's not much you can do about it.
Frankl was a psychiatrist and a Jew and was imprisoned in the Nazi death camps of World War II. He lost his parents, wife and brother and saw many atrocities that don't bear repeating.

One day, alone and naked in a cell, he became aware of what he termed "the last of the human freedoms" - a freedom his Nazi captors could not take away. They could control his entire environment, they could do what they wanted to his body, but Victor Frankl was a self-aware being who could look as an observer at his very involvement. He could decide within himself how all of this was going to affect him. Between what happened to him, or the stimulus, and his response to it, was his freedom or power to choose that response. That last sentence warrants reading again, I reckon. While they had more liberty, more options to choose from in their environment, Victor had more freedom, more internal power to exercise his options. He visualised himself lecturing his students after the war, describing himself in the classroom giving them the lessons that he was learning during his very torture. (Reproduced in part from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)

So what does this mean for us? It means that between an event that occurs to us and our response to that event, we can choose what our response is. We can slow time right down, take a look at our programming and knee-jerk reactions and see that, by using the 'last of our human freedoms' we can make better decisions. Through our observations of ourselves, we can make better choices. It means we can now take responsibility for our actions and our circumstances. You get fired, the knee jerk reaction could be panic and resentment towards your former employers. Or you could stop and re-direct your thoughts, you now have the free time to finish your online marketing project that has been swilling around in your mind. You no longer have to take instruction from a person that you don't particularly respect and you now have more time with the kids. Perhaps someone is rude and abusive to you, your initial reaction would be to give them a piece of your mind and mirror their abuse. Or perhaps you could stop to listen to why they're adopting that attitude (and probably wonder how unhappy their life must be) instead of preparing your response in your head. (This is one of the key impediments to good listening).

Within us all is this great freedom, a freedom to exercise choice through thought, imagination, creativity, independent will and self awareness.

So I ask you this, how often do you exercise this ability, this freedom, this inalienable right to choose what you think? Because if you're just going along with the herd, are you truly free?

9 comments:

  1. Love the post Howard! Victor is an amazing man really demonstrating the power we have to choose our own destiny. This isn't something I used to exercise previously much at all. I would react to situations in my life and would let them determine how I would go about my day... but now that I have started my journey of freedom, I take responsibility for my actions. Thanks again Howard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Howard. In answer to your question, and thank you for asking one - All the time! I would not be here but for that freedom,as you may see by the lack of 'friends', 'followers' and hangers on I have. Just today I dumped about 15 Facebook 'friends' because of my sense of freedom to my own life's cause. I went to many different schools and what I learned was to sit and watch, to be alone and demonstrate my own path. I never added anyone then or now to my life because I wait for people to come to me. Then I allow them to demonstrate clearly to me that they are not the person that I assume they are which is complete and whole with good intentions and integrity! In silence I decide if this is a toxic relationship or a healthy one, and then I make my move, no fighting or defending. I give everyone the same space to know me and they start with a 11/10. I am free! That is why nothing stops me making up my mind about how it will be. My actions are my own and I live for the consequences. "I am never alone as I own my mind." & "I hunt the goodness in all" My quote! Cheers, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Howard,
    In response, I'd say 'not often enough'. This is a skill that I am still working on and may likely work on for a long time to come. It seems easy to remember when things are going along just find however, when something 'big' does happen, I find that all too often I get caught up in the moment and forget to 'choose' my reactions. I'll keep working on it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Howard,

    I can hear Bob Proctor telling that story when I was reading your post. We do indeed have a choice and of course we all fall back to what we've been taught from time to time and most of that moves us back into the herd. It's so enlightening when I'm truly thinking in the now and looking toward my future.

    Thanks Howard for a great post,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment. You bring so much perspective to my life that I am very greatful.

    Andy: great to see that you are in control of your environment rather than vice versa.

    Linnea: to recognise that is the first and the biggest step to take. I would love if you came back and posted an "Ah-ha' moment for you as you practice your freedom.

    Michael: Who is this Bob Proctor that you speak of? lol. Nice to be mentioned in the same paragraph as that man. The only reality is now - we can never go back and change the past nor in to the future. We can, however, learn from the past and dictate our future by our thinking and actions today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Howard neat Post - that's always been one of my favourite quotes attributed to both Frankl and Covey

    It's all about what we think and do within that gap that determines our destiny - for most of us alas we tend to react to stimulus without pause to consider and reflect the myriad of choices

    Cheers Kiaran from sunny Perth Via Limerick and Dublin!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Howard: When my husband unexpectedly died in an auto accident 21 years ago, I learned the painful way that often when events take place that we cannot control, the only thing we can control is our acceptance of the event and our attitude. I try to do it with grace, but it is easier said than done. We can let the events destroy us or help build our character and appreciation of the freedoms we do have.

    Thanks for such a meaningful post!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deborah, thank you so much for sharing. We commit so much to words but they can't convey the passage of time or put flesh on the feeling of sadness or loss.
    Thanks again. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howard,
    Excellent post, thank you.
    Responsibility is a very huge lesson we are here to learn. When we complain or worry about circumstances, we are abdicating responsibility and choosing not to risk creating what we would prefer to have. In either case, we are exercising choice..thanks for the insights on responsibility as the place from where we make conscious choices..
    Thanks for sharing,
    Johneal

    ReplyDelete