Stumbled Upon

Tuesday

Who's Your Hero?

I got a mail from a friend of mine recently. She was disappointed in the behaviour of someone she held in high regard. "She was a hero of mine, someone I looked up to..." It was an interesting comment to which I replied that it's always diappointing to find that our heroes are human and prone to failure like the rest of us. Even superheroes have, ironically, an Achilles heel, a little weakness that even they cannot overcome without outside assistance.
Now, having just finished Transcending the Levels of Consciousness by Dr. David Hawkins. It's the follow on from his first book which I can't recommend highly enough, Power vs. Force: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behaviour. In the Transcending book, he notes that all wars, hatred and general misery derives from our ego and ego positionalities and our dualistic approach to life i.e. the difference between a flower and a weed is perception.
So where does our ego get the fuel to gain strength? From our misinterpretation of praise. As children, when we did a good deed we were praised. Mistakenly, we took the praise when in fact, it was the act that was being praised. You see, in any act the 'doer' is variable. If I help someone across the street, it is the deed that is good, I just carried it out. It could have been anyone who helped the person across the street in this scenario. The fact that it was me is incidental. Verse 34 of the Tao Te Ching: A New English Version (Perennial Classics) illustrates this:

The great Tao flows unobstructed in every direction.
All things rely on it to conceive and be born,
and it does not deny even the smallest of creation.
When it has accomplished great wonders,
it does not claim them for itself.
It nourishes infinite worlds,
yet it doesn’t seek to master the smallest creature.
Since it is without wants and desires,
it can be considered humble.
All of creation seeks it for refuge
yet it does not seek to master or control.
Because it does not seek greatness;
it is able to accomplish truly great things.


So it's what we see in our heroes that attracts us to them, strength of character, great conversationalist, good joke teller or intelligence. These are qualities that we tend to see as out of ourselves, possessed only by those we've chosen to lionise but this is simply not true. It make take some of us longer than others to incorporate those qualities we wish to emulate but it's possible.
There are some points implied in this post which anyone can pick up on such as "Should we praise our children?", "What goes in place of our 'ego'?" or "What can we do to surrender our ego positions?". Answers on a postcard to...
Next time you look at someone you hold in high esteem ask yourself what it is about that person that draws you to them? What are the qualities that you most admire, duplicate them and be your own hero.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Howard. I think it is so sad that so often every day many people see their own perfect reflection everywhere else in the universe but in their bathroom mirror. Someone else once said. "The eye only sees, and the ear only hears what is already in the mind." If they can see greatness it is because they are that. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always tell my Team look in the mirror, the answers are in YOU!
    It is all about Personal Development.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Howard,

    Great post. I like what you said about our heroes and duplicating them and being your own hero. We must all recognize that we and they are humans so we do make mistakes and that's OK.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Howard,
    I like what you're saying here. I like trying to be my own hero first and be inspired by others. Nice post! And welcome to TSA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Howard, the idea of being my own hero is great that way if I believe that is what I am to myself I will attract to me others that feel the same way. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Howard - Such a great post! This is a running theme on these comments - but becoming your own hero will help you inspire others to do the same:) THanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great comments, thank you so much. It's great to be in the company of such wise and on purpose people. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howard, I live my life with each day seeing who I am being a hero for today. Thanks for this great post! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Howard, a truly inspiring post. Previously its been said that we can only recognize something in another when we hold it inside ourselves. Others can be our heroes because of who they are or what they do, but we hold that same power inside ourselves and to be a hero. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Liana. What a brilliant observation. It may not be a newsflash but I think one of the reasons we hold others in such high regard is becuase we feel we lack those qualities in ourselves. Which we know is not true. We can re-create ideal selves if we choose to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. It reminds me of Debbie Ford's work. I think her book was the Dark Side of the Light Chasers. The world is a mirror of our thoughts, so true. It is a tricky question as to how much praise it good for children. Too much and they can't make a decision without others approvals and too little and they will always seek out praise for not getting it as a child. Raising self confident children is the main issue. It all starts at home. Thanks for sharing this. You are on my TSA team this week. Let me know if you get a new post up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will do Nicole. And a great post. There is a fine line. Here's what I'm finding with my one-and-a-half year old. I've been teaching him throught the Glenn DOman menthod since he was three months old and he is amazing. As was my niece who was taught the same way. Education is a major factor in reasoning and helps children greatly. I love your post and will do further research on Debboe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete