Stumbled Upon

Saturday

Ego a go-go

Transcending the Levels of Consciousness is a book that's had a huge impact on my life. It has helped me so much on my journey through personal development. It has helped me to understand so much about myself, my interactions with others and the hidden determination of human behaviour. The paradox is that the more I learn, the less I care to remember.
The main stumbling block to happiness in many people's lives is their ego. The best way I can describe the ego in my own words is an identity and self of self that evolves through the years as we grow. It's triggered when we take offence or mis-interpret praise (it is the act or deed that is good, not the person). It rears it's head when we feel self-satisfied or prideful. It's the rage we feel when someone cuts us off in traffic or we feel like someone is treating us like an idiot. Am I making sense? lol
It's a fine line that takes practice because when you do a good deed that isn't self-serving, it is a great feeling. It takes practice. The ego is responsible for a lot of our sorrow, wars and strife. It's becuase of ego that Hitler felt he could take over the world, that Saddam felt he could not toppled and it's responsible for road rage. I casues anger when we don't get the attention that we look for. At the end of the day, I think Alfred Einstein said it best when he said "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

10 comments:

  1. Howard I really love this post. Ego is so broad, and it takes away from self-confidence and value. Thank you for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howard, the journey of self discovery and personal development is always an interesting one, isn't it? I love hearing stories like this.

    There is a very thin line between pride and ego. We often don't know the moment when pride was converted into ego. One way I use to tell is if I start feeling superior to someone else. This is the beginning of a big problem for me. This means my ego needs checking! It can be a sneaky process! Thank you for sharing part of your journey with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Howard great post. It brings back to mind for me when my ego was in full force what I hated most when I thought someone was making fun of me. Now I just laugh along with them when a make a boo-boo.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Howard - thought provoking post - its such an interesting phenomenon -the ego - it's part of the fuel that drives some to conquer incredible obstacles and others to act like sociopaths -

    true altruism is probably unattainable as even this serves as a form of self gratification - but there's no doubt that real self awareness and transcending much of the nonsense that is life is rare and a gift

    Cheers Kiaran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dead on point! The more I am able to have the privilege of being around other successful people the more you are able to identify how peoples ego influences behavior like crazy.

    It is certainly a mental task keeping our own ego's in check. Thank you so much for sharing this. It was great!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Howard:

    I love the title of your post, having grown up in the 'a-go-go' period of time! Yeah, keeping the ego under control can be a battle sometimes. As a musician, I know that we especially have that difficulty. It's why so many bands break up :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    Wishing you a song in your heart,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That reminds me, how does a musician warm up their voice beofre a concert? Mi,mi,mi,mi,mi, mi, mi!

    Thanks for all your comments.The ego at work has to be recognised and spotted before we can coral it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great atmosphere here. I like how this blog is uncluttered and providing value to the max.

    Life truly is a journey, and you have brought to light many things I wish would change in my life, yet, I'm egotistical in those areas... in a twisted way, I wish NOT to change - because it's the familiarity I've grown accustomed to.

    Thanks for the light-shedding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Paul, none of us can change our past but we can make a new start and change our ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post Howard!

    Great reminder of learning the art of humility.

    I still got a long ways to go in letting go of the 3 Ego Based Needs that kill our happiness.

    1) The Need to Be in Control
    2) The Need to Be Right
    3) The Need to Look Good

    To Your Genius,

    Eiji

    ReplyDelete