Stumbled Upon

Monday

Play Your Own Game

I play golf. Correction, I play golf badly. In fact, I played so badly the other day I came home and told my wife that I was seeing someone else for the four hours.

It doesn't matter to me because I'm just so happy to be out there swingin' the clubs. I'm the village idiot of my own town. It's great. Of course (no pun intended), the great thing about playing badly is that there is always room for improvement. And I don't mean small, tweaky improvements, I'm talking LEAPS. Perhaps that's why I'm so excited.

Anyhow, while I was out swinging at the turf, I realised something. It was while I was going through a purple patch. I noticed that, while my slight better golfing partner went off looking for his wayward shot, I kept the head down, addressed the ball correctly and hit the ball straight and true. For a while, everything came together and I enjoyed the game more than usual. Now, I wasn't suddenly some Tiger Woods player but I was relaxed and let the clubs do the work (as any professional teacher will tell you you should).

It got me thinking about my business, even my life. I play the same game as hundreds of thousands, home based business owner. I play the same course as thousands, sales. I play the same type of course as many, personal development. I'm even a member of a club.

For a long time, I watched the top players in the club and tried to emulate them and that was a mistake on my part. What I should have been trying to emulate was the simple system that is being used by them and be true to my own self. You see, marketing gurus are not duplicable but systems are. I can't outdrive John Daly but I can learn to emulate his swing. And would I like to get lessons from John Daly? No, I'd like to get lessons from the person who taught John Daly!

The information is the key, not the person, and my business has benefitted greatly from the training and support given by the top income earners in the company that I work with. They're brilliant. So free with their time and knowledge. It took me a while to get used to it. It also took me a while to discover that I had been trying to match up to people instead of playing my own game. Once I figured that out though, guess what? That's right, I'm keeping my head down, addressing the ball correctly...

Here's an interesting article I came across while writing this http://cac.ophony.org/2008/06/11/drive-for-show-putt-for-dough-its-the-small-stuff-that-matters/

Addendum:  Playing the same course consistantly and getting great scores there does not make me a great golfer. Knowing my clubs and perfecting my swing does so that I can play any course well.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Howard - its a cruel game all right -spoils a good walk some would say! Its interesting though how instructive it can be to observe the amazing impact mindset has on performance - if you've ever hit a perfectly executed shot then surely its duplicateable- self belief is fleeting alas

    Thanks for sharing

    Cheers Kiaran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howard, I don't golf, but I know it's a tough game! I played it once and that's all it took to realize the game could make you humble.

    I like the way you paralleled playing the game of golf to a home based business.

    It's so true that one person can be so successful while others are not. But, If we have a system to follow, we can just plug into the system and achieve success!

    Like you said "Marketing gurus are not duplicateable, but systems are".

    Great post! ~Joseph McDevitt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howard,

    Great analogy, comparing your golf game to your business and even your life. I agree that there is much room for improvement in all those aspects.

    Keep those posts coming!

    ~ Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howard, I always wondered what happen to "Rodney Dangerfield's" son. Now I know. excellent analogy that makes real sense. Thanks for the laughs and the wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kiaran, thanks for posting. Everything that exists, exists in the mind first. And when you think how much your subconscious governs, it's great to know that mindset is the origin for anything we want to achieve. "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle My golf and self-believe gets beter with practice!

    Joeseph, you are such a great addition to the TSA and I always enjoy your posts and comments.

    Tim, thank you so much for your words of encouragement.

    Nelson - high praise indeed coming from you. Your posts are a hoot and I always enjoy being in your tribe in case I miss any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Howard,

    Great analogy! I used to golf (badly) and can really relate to what you are saying. It's such a funny game when you have one great shot out of a bazillion and that one great shot will make you want to go back to the chase until you get another. So very much like business. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete